Commercial Batteries Can Enhance Solar Power System Performance and Help Maintain Operations
Commercial energy storage systems can provide power when your business’s solar panels are not actively generating electricity. Batteries enable your business to store energy from your business’s solar power system when the sun is shining. You can then draw upon that stored energy when the sun is not shining.
Ross Solar has extensive experience in solar power storage, and can design and install a fully integrated storage solution for commercial solar power systems. These batteries, when paired with a solar installation, offer numerous benefits:
- Power when the sun is not shining. At night, or on less productive days for your solar power system, you are able to draw from the stored energy in the battery and not solely rely on electricity drawn from the grid – further reducing your business’s electricity supply cost. The batteries would then be recharged when the solar array is at peak output.
- Electricity during a power outage. Businesses have typically had to rely upon generators as backup power systems in the event of a power outage. A battery storage system, when properly integrated with solar, can change that as your business can instead draw power from the stored energy.
- Smoothing of demand. Peak demand measured by the utility may be reduced by using energy from a battery – lowering demand charges your business might otherwise incur. If your business is able to take advantage of time-of-use rates, batteries can supply power during high rate periods — again lowering the cost of operations for your business.
Factors Influencing Solar Battery Selection
It is important to understand how you plan to use your battery. A Ross Solar battery expert can review important considerations with you for the selection of a battery for your business.
There are many important factors to consider in order to identify the most appropriate solar battery storage system for your business. Your solar power system output, your energy demands, when those demands are required and for how long, are just some of the important factors your solar battery installer must evaluate.
Here are just some of the factors your Ross Solar battery expert will consider when evaluating solar battery options:
- Capacity – This is the amount of energy a battery can store. You may need to tie multiple batteries together to obtain the capacity your business needs. Capacity is measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh).
- Power rating – This is a measure of how much electricity, measured in watts or kilowatts (kW), a battery can deliver at one time. Depending on how your business will use the stored energy, you may need a large amount of kW at one time so power rating could be very important.
- Battery life – A battery’s ability to hold a charge will gradually decrease as it is continually charged and discharged. Solar batteries typically come with a warranty that guarantees a certain number of cycles and/or years of useful life.
Storage Solutions to Meet Your Business’ Needs
At Ross Solar, we offer commercial battery systems from leading manufacturers. Since each manufacturer offers different battery configurations and technologies, we are able to design the best energy storage solution for our customer’s needs. For example, some manufacturers include inverters that are incorporated directly into the battery pack. Other batteries include monitoring. Some battery suppliers have even integrated recycled batteries into their storage solutions.
So, similar to the solar power systems Ross Solar designs, we do not design one system to fit all businesses. We custom design our commercial energy storage systems to meet the technical needs, goals and budgets of our commercial customers. It’s another reason why more businesses that are considering solar rely on the experts at Ross Solar.